(2 Phases, 6 Steps and a Partridge in a Pear Tree)
Content Development vs. Copywriting
Developing Strategic Content Like a Pro: Phase One
Step #1: Learn about your business and consumer.
- What has your company done to be considered an authority in the business?
- What do you offer consumers?
- What image do you want to portray? What do you want your brand to stand for?
- Their long-term goals
- Their reasons for buying from you
- The problems buying from you will solve
- Their pains, which your business can address
Step #2: Define your goals.
- To gain authority
- To gain publicity
- To gain traffic
- To build fans
- To build trust
Step #3: Form your plan.
- Where your content will be posted. For example:
- Your blog
- Industry sites
- Niche blogs
- As guest blogs
- How often your content will be going out. For example:
- 2 or 3 times a week (recommended)
- Once a week
- Once a month
- What main topic you’re going to cover. If you have several topics like we do (see the category navigation links at the top of this blog), you’ll need to define a strategy for each of them.
- What sub topics you’re going to cover.
- How many articles, blog posts, etc, you’ll use to cover this topic and sub-topics.
- How you’ll link the series together.
- How many sites you’ll use to publish the series.
- How you’ll publicize the series. For example:
Copywriting Like A Pro: Phase Two
Step #4: Define your copywriting strategy.
- What posts will I write for this sub topic?
- What titles will I use to attract readers?
- What tone will I use for these posts?
- How will I lay the information out (i.e. with subheadings, bullets, etc)?